Heap’s Hearty Recipe No.1 Sausage Casserole
- 1 pack of (6 sausages) of Heap’s Smithfield sausages
- 125 grams of peeled turnip
- 125 grams of peeled carrots
- 125 grams of peeled swede
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 peeled apples
- 250 mls of chicken stock
- 440 mls (1 can) of sweet or dry cider
- 30 grams of butter
- 30 grams of seasoned plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of single or double cream
- 4 chopped sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
A large shallow frying pan, a medium flame proof casserole dish.
- Cut all of the vegetables and the apples into regular bite sized pieces.
- Coat the sausages in the seasoned flour then lightly colour in the butter to a golden brown in the frying pan.
- Meanwhile lightly fry the vegetables until a pale golden brown in the same pan, having set the sausages to one side to use later in the dish.
- Combine the sausages with the vegetables, pour in the cider and chicken stock, bring to the boil and cover, lightly season and simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables and sausages are cooked .The liquid should be lightly thickened.
- Add the cream and correct the seasoning, sprinkle the chopped sage leaves over the surface of the casserole and serve with hot crusty bread.